We've moved

... please go to www.kellydvorak.blogspot.com.
don't forget to update your link if you have one.
Thanks for reading!

Ever wonder why the title: Never the Same Page? Brendan and I started the blog together, and what is the truest thing about us? We are almost never on the same page about things. We are as opposite as opposites get. TomAto, TomAHto... but we decided a long time ago not to call the whole thing off :)

Saturday, December 8, 2007

It's beginning to taste a lot like Christmas...

Everyone has their traditional treats... one of ours is Tortiere, especially at Christmas. (Some people spell it tourtiere, but it's definitely pronounced Tortiere!) If you're not familiar with it, its a French Canadian meat pie, and lots of people really like it alot. Owen is one of those people. Some people think its boring and bland... Actually, I might have been one of those people if the tradition of tortiere being a Christmas must wasn't deeply embedded somewhere in my head!



I usually make several pies each year, some for us (definitely on Christmas Eve!) and some for friends. I haul out the recipe my Memere wrote out (not a standard recipe, either, she wrote it out as if she was standing beside me giving directions; now mix it with a fork... while that is boiling, check on the meat... don't put more salt until you taste it..!)

Alas, my secret has always been that Bren's mom makes my pastry. When it was getting to be the season, she'd get out her mixer and Voila! I'd have pastry in my freezer, ready to be rolled into pies whenever I wanted. So, I was intimidated at having to make my own pastry. One more thing on the list of things to do at this time of year and I was thinking it was one too many... I had decided to buy Tortieres from Praire Meats in Saskatoon. (I heard that the owners are a French family; they should know how to make a decent meat pie!)



My awesome husband, upon hearing my dilemma, declares: "Well, how about if I make the pastry for you? " (We are a pretty good team!)



So today was the day, and he did make a wonderful pastry (afterward he announced that it'll be the last time!).
The results of our labors!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't mention the part where i got frustrated and took a ball of pastry dough and hucked it across the room. Thanks for not mentioning that.

Anonymous said...

The pies look fabulous! You guys are quite a team. I am so enjoying getting to peek inside your daily lives out in Hepburn. It seems like you're all doing well and having fun together.
You're awesome!!

Sheryl said...

oh my word! The pies were AMAZING! Brendan should always make the pastry.. it was very tasty :) Thanks for letting me test them out!!

Anonymous said...

Those pies look awesome! I need some inspiring words to keep me pumped to make mine this weekend! Although, if I get ted to help me, it might be him that gets hucked across the room!

Anonymous said...

So are you bringing one home for Christmas eve or should I attempt this as well? I believe I have some of Brens moms pastry in my freezer...

Anonymous said...

karen; I am bringing one pie - for xmas eve or boxing day, you choose..kelly

Sweetheart Fanny said...

Sweet! Your family makes them too! We need to get together and have a tortiere eating day!