We've moved

... please go to www.kellydvorak.blogspot.com.
don't forget to update your link if you have one.
Thanks for reading!

Ever wonder why the title: Never the Same Page? Brendan and I started the blog together, and what is the truest thing about us? We are almost never on the same page about things. We are as opposite as opposites get. TomAto, TomAHto... but we decided a long time ago not to call the whole thing off :)

Monday, January 14, 2008

Everything in moderation

We're doing a series on Christ's "I am" statements at church... I love reading the selected passages as we go through a series. Last week we read John 8 and 9, and the focus was on Jesus' statement "I am the Light of the World".
The gospels are such 'easy reading', story after story, some humor and daily life stuff. But I don't read them that often... because I hear the voices and cynicism and legalism of the Pharisees and there's a little too much identification going on... Maybe I read them as little as I read Proverbs 31, even.
This read through of John is showing me that I struggle with the idea of moderation and extremes... I would like to have no 'extremes' in my life and be balanced, moderate, calm... all the time. And I know I've judged others for being 'extreme' in some way... you know, they're over the top, 'too much'. ... I don't want to be like them, I want to be moderate, easy, likeable!
It struck me today how ridiculous I am... I am a Christ follower, and his relationships weren't moderate and his conversations were subtle; He was extreme to the extreme. Why is this idea of quiet, subtle moderation something I think I always need to work on? Why do I want to do away with the 'extremes' in me, in others?
Thats the thing about reading the gospels -- I realize how much of a Pharisee I am .... and as I read, I hear the words of "How Deep the Father's Love" -

Behold the man upon the cross
My sin upon His shoulder
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
Jesus then said, "I came into the world to bring everything into the clear light of day, making all the distinctions clear, so that those who have never seen will see, and those who have made a great pretense of seeing will be exposed as blind." John 9:39 (the message)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is that why I often finish reading passages in the gospels with out the feel good feeling i may have been hoping for? Hmmm....

Sheryl said...

What a good thought, kelly. And thanks for including that song.. I always tear up when I really think about those words.